Monday, January 12, 2015

Peplum Perfection

Peplums, in my opinion, are just about the greatest little bit of fashion ever made. It's been around for a long time, and I mean a long time. Gorgeous ladies were rocking peplums as far back as the 1800's, and maybe even farther back. 

In today's post I'm rocking a new black and white peplum top. I'm totally digging the square collar and the zipper detail.



Peplum tops, dresses, jackets, and even bathing suits are trending big time right now. I think some are wondering if this is just a trend or if peplums are here to stay. 

I consider them a classic. While strong peplum trends have come and gone throughout fashion history, I bet they have never gone completely out of style. You could probably go back though time and find dresses or tops from any decade that have one style of peplum or another. I really love the peplum party dresses of the 80's.

Peplum dresses or tops are flattering on just about everyone. They really are the perfect little bit of flare to add to a piece of clothing. 


As you can see in this last picture, although a belt really makes the outfit look complete and polished, it isn't completely necessary. Much of the time online you will find fashion "experts" telling plus-sized women of many shapes to either wear loose stuff to hide their bellies or belt absolutely everything to accentuate the waist. I love cinching my waist, but I don't always feel like doing it. This outfit still looks totally cute without the belt. 



Pairing a peplum top with a straight skirt or a pencil skirt creates a great silhouette. It looks wonderful and flattering on just about everyone; in fact I'm having a hard time thinking of a body shape that it wouldn't look good on. If you lack curves like me, it can help create the illusion that you have them. If you are already curvy, it just accentuates them! Peplum really is amazing. It's like magic.

Peplum top- JCPenny
Black skirt- thrifted







4 comments: